American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. Past participle of drive.
- adj. Piled up or carried along by a current: driven snow.
- adj. Motivated by or having a compulsive quality or need: a driven person.
- adj. Caused, sustained, or stimulated: an export-driven economic recovery.
- adj. Powered, operated, or controlled: a piston-driven airplane; a menu-driven software program.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Past participle of drive.
- v. Past participle of drive
- adj. Obsessed; passionately motivated to achieve goals.
- adj. of snow Formed into snowdrifts by wind.
GNU Webster's 1913
- of drive. Also
- adj. strongly motivated to succeed
- adj. compelled forcibly by an outside agency
- adj. urged or forced to action through moral pressure
“The same appears to be, "That are not driven to behold those wretched cares, which I _am driven_, &c.”
“But the awful events ended not there: the royal object of that great day's pageant is himself gone to another world; and the Duchess d'Angoulême, again driven from the throne of her ancestors, has once more become a hopeless exile!”
“We think part of the reason for that is it's a title driven business and the titles that we've had in the marketplace are strong and attractive and there's brand value as well.”
“My characterizing liberals as economically illiterate and emotionally driven is based on their actions versus what I understand of economics.”
“In other words, if there is any sexual hanky-panky involved, whether it is homosexual or heterosexual, the individual should be driven from the military.”
“These tools will be driven from the actual advice shared in my weekly motivational Transformation Talks.”
“The Oracle provided a vague and ambiguous response to the Emperor, which naturally led to the conclusion that Christianity had to be driven from the Empire.”
“DeerHunter: What a preposterous sentiment, MaryG, and for proposing it, you should be hooted and name-called and driven from the conversation.”
“I just hope that in 3 and 1/2 years from now there is still a country and hint a of a real economy that is driven from the private sector.”
“Of course, he was excoriated and driven from the party for it.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘driven’.
words that describe me or that i am focusing on.
( personal list )
Listening to this as an audio book for the second time. Tim O'Brien uses simple words and phrases to great effect. Very few unfamilar and big words . The writing style reminds me of words from Joh...
Looking for tweets for driven.