from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or based on the number 12: the duodecimal number system.
- adj. Of or relating to twelfths.
- n. A twelfth.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of a number, expressed in base 12.
- n. A number system that uses 12 as its base.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Proceeding in computation by twelves; expressed in the scale of twelves.
- n. A twelfth part.
- n. A system of numbers, whose denominations rise in a scale of twelves, as of feet and inches. The system is used chiefly by artificers in computing the superficial and solid contents of their work.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Reckoning by twelves and powers of twelve: as, duodecimal multiplication.
- n. One of a system of numerals the base of which is twelve.
- n. plural An arithmetical rule for ascertaining the number of square feet, twelfths of feet, and square inches in a rectangular area or surface whose sides are given in feet and inches and twelfths of inches.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. one part in twelve equal parts
- adj. based on twelve
From Latin duodecimus, twelfth, from duodecim, twelve : duo, two; see dwo- in Indo-European roots + decem, ten; see dekm̥ in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)