from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A large Eurasian owl (Bubo bubo) having brownish plumage and prominent ear tufts.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of various Old World large owls of the genus Bubo, especially Bubo bubo, that have prominent ear tufts.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. any large owl of the genus Bubo, and allied genera; as the American great horned owl (Bubo Virginianus), and the allied European species (B. maximus). See Horned owl.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A name of the great horned owl of Europe, Bubo maximus, and hence of other large species of the same genus, as B. virginianus, the great horned owl of North America. See cut under Bubo.
- n. A name of sundry other large owls.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.