from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A Eurasian and northern African plant (Conopodium denudatum) having tuberous roots that are edible when roasted.
- n. The tuber of this plant.
- n. Any of various other plants, such as the peanut, similar to the earthnut.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of various roots, tubers, or pods that grow underground.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The esculent tubers of the umbelliferous plants Bunium flexuosum and Carum Bulbocastanum.
- n. The peanut. See peanut.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The tuberous root of Bunium flexuosum and B. Bulbocastanum, common umbelliferous plants of Europe. See Bunium.
- n. The groundunt, Arachis hypogæa.
- n. The tuber of Cyperus rotundus and some other species of the same genus.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a common European plant having edible tubers with the flavor of roasted chestnuts
- n. edible subterranean fungus of the genus Tuber
- n. any of various highly prized edible subterranean fungi of the genus Tuber; grow naturally in southwestern Europe
- n. pod of the peanut vine containing usually 2 nuts or seeds; `groundnut' and `monkey nut' are British terms
Thouars; Glycine subterranea L. Chonyi: tendegwa, nzugu mawe English: Bambarra groundnut, Madagascar groundnut, earthnut, baffin pea, Bambarra bean
The groundnut, Arachis hypogaea, also known as the peanut or earthnut, is botanically a member of the Papilionaceae, largest and most important member of the Leguminosae.
Bellows-mender in the William S.akespeare play A Midsummer Night's Dream (5) 17 S.all agile ape of forests in S. Asia (6) 21 Edible subterranean fungus that is also called an earthnut (7) 22 Michael ---, author of the plays Alphabetical Order and Noises Off (5) 23 and 15 American Football team that won S.per Bowl III in 1969 (3,4,4)
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.