from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Degeneration of bone into a hard, ivorylike mass, as that which occurs at the articular surfaces of bones in osteoarthritis.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Degenerative process of bone occurring at sites of articular cartilage erosion commonly found in patients with osteoarthritis. Sub-chondral bone responds to increased friction by generating reactive, ivory-like, dense bone at the site of erosion.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A condition of bone cartilage occurring in certain diseases of these tissues, in which they acquire an unnatural density, and come to resemble ivory.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In pathology, a morbid change in bone by which it becomes very hard and dense, like ivory, as in arthritis deformans.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a change that occurs in degenerative joint disease in which bone is converted into a dense smooth substance resembling ivory
From Latin eburnus, ivory, from ebur; see ivory.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)