from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A parasite, such as a flea, that lives on the exterior of another organism.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A parasite that lives on the surface of a host organism; such as the demodex mite which lives in human hair and eyelashes.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Any parasite which lives on the exterior of animals; -- opposed to
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An external parasite; a parasite living upon the exterior of the host, as distinguished from an endoparasite.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any external parasitic organism (as fleas)
Sorry, no etymologies found.