American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The ordinal number matching the number 80 in a series.
- n. One of 80 equal parts.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Next after the seventy-ninth: an ordinal numeral.
- n. The quotient of unity divided by eighty; one of eighty equal parts.
- adj. The ordinal form of number eighty.
- n. The person or thing in the eightieth position.
- n. One of eighty equal parts of a whole.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. The next in order after seventy-ninth.
- adj. Consisting of one of eighty equal parts or divisions.
- n. The quotient of a unit divided by eighty; one of eighty equal parts.
- adj. the ordinal number of eighty in counting order
- n. position 80 in a countable series of things
- eighty + -eth (Wiktionary)
“Lady Bird Johnson celebrated her eightieth birthday in her red evening gown.”
“What drives you—just months shy of your eightieth birthday—to continue to work so hard?”
“I know Apache and he's no Apache., but he looked so white, you'd have taken him for eightieth generation Bostonian.”
“No wonder that I backed out one afternoon without raising the door, smashing it to pieces, like an idiot, or a man speeding into his eightieth year.”
“Ertegun explained: The name Atlantic was probably about our eightieth choice, because every name we came up with . . . had already been taken. . .”
“He defined real intelligence as akin to being on the eightieth floor of a building while everyone else is on the ground trying to find their way with a map.”
“Her mother-in-law, Jessie Danz, was active in the Seattle Jewish Family and Child Services for many years, and Carolyn chaired the organization's eightieth anniversary celebration in 1972.”
“ Of his own end, Grandpa had often said to me and Grace as though teasing us with a riddle, "I will spring into my eightieth year, but I will not spring out of it.”
“In celebration of Stephen Sondheim's eightieth birthday, his songs are being sung even more this year than they usually are -- which in Manhattan intimate rooms is quite often, to say the least.”
“Ted Kennedy, Bork's chief antagonist in the Senate, might have found that task particularly unpleasant a year after sending Brennan a 50-year-old bottle of Irish whiskey to mark his eightieth birthday.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘eightieth’.
â€¢ The word must have an even number of vowels.
â€¢ There must be four or more vowels; thus, at minimum, an A-A-A-A or A-B-B-A pattern.
â€¢ The vowels must appear in a mir...
Looking for tweets for eightieth.