from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of numerous fishes of the class Chondrichthyes, characterized by a cartilaginous skeleton and placoid scales and including the sharks, rays, and skates.
- adj. Of or belonging to the class Chondrichthyes.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of many cartilaginous fish of the subclass Elasmobranchii
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to the Elasmobranchii.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to or having the characters of the Elasmobranchii.
- n. A vertebrate of the group Elasmobranchii.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of numerous fishes of the class Chondrichthyes characterized by a cartilaginous skeleton and placoid scales: sharks; rays; skates
From New Latin Elasmobranchiī, former subclass name : Greek elasmos, metal beaten out (from elaunein, elas-, to beat) + Latin branchia, gill; see branchia.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)