American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A brown-to-black, soft, elastic hydrocarbon resin.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An elastic mineral resin of a blackish-brown color, subtranslucent, and occurring in soft flexible masses. Also called elastic bitumen and mineral caoutchouc.
- n. mineralogy The mineral wurtzilite.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Min.) A mineral resin, of a blackish brown color, occurring in soft, flexible masses; -- called also
mineral caoutchouc, and elastic bitumen.
- -ite (Wiktionary)
- elater, elasticity (obsolete) + -ite1. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Asphalts and bitumens include a wide variety of hydrocarbon materials, such as gilsonite, grahamite, elaterite, ozokerite, etc., which are used for somewhat different purposes.”
‘elaterite’ hasn't been added to any lists yet.
Looking for tweets for elaterite.