from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any device that generates electricity
- n. Any device that converts electricity into motion
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A mover or exciter of electricity; as apparatus for generating a current of electricity.
- n. An apparatus or machine for producing motion and mechanical effects by the action of electricity; an electro-magnetic engine.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Any arrangement which gives rise to an electric current, as a single cell, a voltaic battery, or a thermo-electric pile.
- n. An engine in which electricity is employed to produce mechanical effects. See electric machine, under electric, and motor.
electro- + motor (Wiktionary)