from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Physically to lower.
- v. To bring down or lower in position, status, etc.; to degrade, humiliate.
- v. To lower the value of (a coin, commodity etc.); to debase (a coin) with alloy.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To bring down or lower, as in position, value, etc.; to debase; to degrade; to deteriorate.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To lower; degrade; depress or hollow out.
- To lower in value; debase; vitiate; deprave; impair.
- To lower in nature, rank, or estimation; degrade.
From em- + base. Compare Old French embaissier. (Wiktionary)