American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The thin serous membrane, composed of endothelial tissue, that lines the interior of the heart.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In anatomy, the lining of the heart, as distinguished from the pericardium, or investing membrane of that organ; the membrane forming the inner surface of the walls of the cardiac cavities, or this surface itself.
- n. anatomy, cardiology A thin serous membrane that lines the interior of the heart.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Anat.) The membrane lining the cavities of the heart.
- n. the membrane that lines the cavities of the heart and forms part of the heart valves
- New Latin : endo- + Greek kardiā, heart; see kerd- in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The endocardium is a thin, smooth membrane which lines and gives the glistening appearance to the inner surface of the heart; it assists in forming the valves by its reduplications, and is continuous with the lining membrane of the large bloodvessels.”
“The inner surface of the heart is lined by a serous membrane, the endocardium, which is smooth and firmly adherent to the muscular structure of the heart.”
“In the Flesh we see present in section: the myocardium, the endocardium, the vagus nerve and also the left ventricle of the heart for the large thickness of the myocardium.”
“Secondly, metastases from the lung to the heart are usually the result of direct extension and almost always involve the outer pericardium, not the endocardium.”
“First, metastatic lesions to the endocardium are rare, even rarer than primary cardiac malignancies.”
“And the inmost layer is the endocardium, a very thin smooth layer of cells that lines the inner surface of the heart.”
“This attacks the lining membrane, or endocardium, and causes, not infrequently, a shrinkage of the heart valves.”
“All the cavities of the heart are lined with a smooth, delicate membrane, called the _endocardium_.”
“It is covered by the visceral layer of the serous pericardium (epicardium), and lined by the endocardium.”
“Between the endocardium and the ordinary cardiac muscle are found, imbedded in a small amount of connective tissue, peculiar fibers known as Purkinje fibers.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘endocardium’.
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
Panvocalics are words that contain all the vowels. Listed here are "euvocalics": words that have each of the five vowels only once. (These are also a kind of supervocalic.) Words that also have a "...
Looking for tweets for endocardium.