from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The thin layer of cells lining the medullary cavity of a bone.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A membranous vascular layer of cells which line the medullary cavity of a bone
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The layer of vascular connective tissue lining the medullary cavities of bone.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In anatomy, the lining membrane of the medullary cavity of a bone; the internal periosteum.
- n. Cuttlebone.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. vascular membrane that lines the inner surface of long bones
New Latin : end(o)- + Greek osteon, bone; see ost- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From endo- + Ancient Greek ὀστέον (osteon, "bone"). (Wiktionary)
_ -- The _dura mater_ is a fibro-serous membrane, the outer, fibrous layer constituting the endosteum of the skull, the inner, serous layer forming one of the coverings of the brain.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.