from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n.pl. a group of hymenopterous insects whose larvæ feed parasitically upon living insects. See ichneumon, 2.
- n.pl. A group of marsupials which are partly insectivorous, as the opossum.
- n.pl. A group of edentates, including the ant-eaters.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- A subsection of Hymenoptera terebrantia, or boring hymenopterous insects.
- A division of marsupial mammals, containing those which have three kinds of teeth in both jaws, and a cæcum, as the bandicoots and opossums.
- A division of edentate mammals, one of two primary groups of Bruta (the other being Phytophaga), containing insectivorous and carnivorous forms, as the anteaters and pangolins. It was divided into 4 groups, Mutica, Squamata, Loricata, and Tubulidentata.
- A division of chiropterous mammals, containing the ordinary bats, as distinguished from the fruit-bats. Also called Insectivora, Animalivora, and Microchiroptera.
Sorry, no etymologies found.