from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The inner layer of the pericardium that is in actual contact with the surface of the heart.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The layer of tissue between the pericardium and the heart.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. That part of the pericardium which forms the outer surface of the heart; the cardiac pericardium.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In anatomy, the cardiac or visceral layer of the pericardium, lying directly upon the heart.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the innermost of the two layers of the pericardium
New Latin : epi- + Greek kardiā, heart; see kerd- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)