American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The inner layer of the pericardium that is in actual contact with the surface of the heart.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In anatomy, the cardiac or visceral layer of the pericardium, lying directly upon the heart.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Anat.) That part of the pericardium which forms the outer surface of the heart; the cardiac pericardium.
- n. the innermost of the two layers of the pericardium
- New Latin : epi- + Greek kardiā, heart; see kerd- in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Inside the epicardium is the myocardium, the middle layer of the heart wall, composed of cardiac muscle.”
“OED 2nd edition: epicanthus epicardium epicarp but no epicaricacy.”
“The entire heart is wrapped in a membrane known as the epicardium.”
“Inside this sac is the epicardium, a membrane that forms the outermost layer of the wall of the heart.”
“The heart has a rich subserous plexus beneath the epicardium.”
“It is covered by the visceral layer of the serous pericardium (epicardium), and lined by the endocardium.”
“The visceral portion, or epicardium, covers the heart and the great vessels, and from the latter is continuous with the parietal layer which lines the fibrous pericardium.”
“Coagulation System with VisiTrax® is based on the unique integration of suction, perfusion, and RF energy to ensure the creation of visible, non-conductive, continuous, bi-atrial lesions on the epicardium of a beating heart.”
“The new tools allow doctors to go through that sac to the epicardium the heart's outermost tissue without actually entering the heart, "reducing patients 'risk and recovery time," he added.”
“The award made to Dr Paul Riley, Reader in the Molecular Medicine Unit at the UCL Institute of Child Health, recognises a landmark discovery in the field of basic cardiovascular science when his team found that a protein called Thymosin beta4 could mobilise dormant cells from the epicardium to form new blood vessels in the heart - a major step towards finding a DIY mechanism to repair injury following heart attack.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘epicardium’.
upon; above; in addition
Looking for tweets for epicardium.