from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The upper middle region of the abdomen.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The upper middle region of the abdomen, between the umbilical and hypochondriac regions.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The upper part of the abdomen.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The upper and median part of the abdomen, especially of its surface, or that part lying over the stomach; the epigastric region, commonly called the pit of the stomach.
- n. In entomology, a term used by some of the older entomologists for the lower side of the mesothorax and metathorax in the Coleoptera, Hemiptera, and Orthoptera.
- n. Also, sometimes, epigastræum.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the region lying on or over the stomach (just below the sternum)
New Latin, from Greek epigastrion, from neuter of epigastrios, over the belly : epi-, epi- + gastēr, gastr-, stomach.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)