from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Inscriptions considered as a group.
- n. The study of inscriptions.
- n. Decipherment, especially of ancient inscriptions.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. inscriptions collectively
- n. the study or decipherment of inscriptions, especially of ancient ones
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The science of inscriptions; the art of engraving inscriptions or of deciphering them.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The study or knowledge of epigraphs; that branch of knowledge which deals with the deciphering and explanation of inscriptions; epigraphics.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the study of ancient inscriptions
epi- + -graphy (Wiktionary)