from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. an insignia or some other distinguishing symbol
- n. another name for the Greek letter digamma
- n. a term for the digamma, koppa, or sampi as a Greek numeral sign
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In Greek antiquity, a device or badge, corresponding to the crest of later times, as that borne on the shield of a soldier, or that chosen as its distinguishing mark by a city, etc.
- n. In the Greek alphabet, one of three obsolete letters used only as numerals.
Ancient Greek ἐπίσημον, from ἐπί "above" and σῆμα "sign" (Wiktionary)