from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An interaction between nonallelic genes, especially an interaction in which one gene suppresses the expression of another.
- n. A film that forms over the surface of a urine specimen.
- n. The suppression of a bodily discharge or secretion.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The modification of the expression of a gene by another unrelated one
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A substance swimming on the surface of urine: opposed to hypostasis, or sediment.
- n. An arrested or stationary condition in the ancestral history of a group of organisms.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the suppression of a gene by the effect of an unrelated gene
Greek, stoppage, from epistanai, to stop, check : ep-, epi-, epi- + histanai, to place.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)