from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An early proposed name for vanadium.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A name originally given (from its red acid) to the metal vanadium.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A genus of liliaceous plants, natives of northern temperate regions, commonly known as the dog-tooth violet.
- n. [lowercase] A name sometimes given to vanadate of lead.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. perennial bulbous herbs most of northern United States: dogtooth violet; adder's tongue; trout lily; fawn lily
Ancient Greek ἐρυθρός (erythrós, "red"), since most of the salts turned red when heated. (Wiktionary)