American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A colorless oily liquid, C10H18O, derived from eucalyptus and used in pharmaceuticals, flavoring, and perfumery. Also called cineole.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A volatile, colorless, limpid oil having a strong aromatic odor, obtained from Eucalyptus globulus.
- n. This substance is apparently identical with cineol, C10H18O; it occurs in many species of Eucalyptus besides E. Globulus.
- n. organic chemistry A polycyclic monoterpenoid ether, obtained from eucalyptus oil, used in perfumery and in the production of pharmaceuticals etc.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Chem.) A volatile, terpenelike oil (C10H18O), which is the main constituent of the oil of eucalyptus. It has cockroach repellent activity and is used as a flavoring aid in pharmaceuticals. Chemically it is 1,3,3-trimethyl-2-oxabicyclo-[2,2,2]-octane.
“The oil of eucalyptus and its active ingredient, eucalyptol, are frequently found in over-the-counter cough drops and salves.”
“There they are: thymol, eucalyptol, methyl salicylate and menthol.”
“The Programa Agroqumico of the Faculty of Sciences l and Technology of the Universidad Mayor de San Simn (UMSS) in Cochabamba, Bolivia, has applied steam-extraction technology to make Bolivia self-sufficient in the production of several essential oils such as menthol, citral, and eucalyptol.”
“Within 5 years, the project has almost eliminated Bolivias annual Can $800 000 of imports of menthol, citral, and eucalyptol oils needed for the production of detergents, soaps, ointments, and other domestic products that have a combined Bolivian market value of $3.5 million.”
“Menthol, eucalyptol and white pine extract are some of the remedies that may be tried dissolved in benzoinol, to which cocaine or opium may be added if the cough is troublesome.”
“This salt has also been incorporated with milled soap in a dry state in conjunction with ammonio-mercuric chloride, [beta] - naphthol, methyl salicylate, and eucalyptol.”
“The _treatment_ of the throat affection consists in employing antiseptic and soothing gargles, inhalations of chloride of ammonium, or a spray of peroxide of hydrogen, menthol, or eucalyptol.”
“The company won't give its recipe, but perhaps coincidentally, denaturant formula 38-B contains eucalyptol, menthol, methyl salicylate, and thymol.”
“There are other, deeper mucus secreting glands throughoutt the airway but I doubt eucalyptol does anything to them.”
“(It responds to other “cooling agents,” too, like eucalyptol and icilin.”
‘eucalyptol’ hasn't been added to any lists yet.
Looking for tweets for eucalyptol.