from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Running or flowing in an outward direction.
- adj. Marked by an outward flow of current.
- adj. Botany Having a single, undivided trunk with lateral branches, as in spruce trees.
- adj. Botany Extending beyond the apex of a leaf, as a midrib or vein.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of a vein or costa, extending beyond the tip or the margin of a leaf.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Running or flowing out.
- adj. Characterized by a current which flows outward.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Running out.
- In botany: Projecting or running beyond the edge or point of anything, as when the midrib of a leaf projects beyond the apex.
- Prolonged to the very summit: applied to the trunk of a tree which is undivided to the top, as in the spruce, in distinction from a deliquescent growth.
- Giving passage outward; affording exit: as, an excurrent orifice.
Where they are of considerable extent, or where even small they are very numerous, they serve to retain the flood waters, delivering them slowly to the excurrent streams.
Mussels are natural water clarifiers; the water that exits through the "excurrent aperture" -- the second siphon -- is cleaner than what came in.
It has two openings, an intake siphon and an excurrent siphon, both of which travel through the neck.
Water is brought into its body through the incurrent siphon and the water is leter removed from its body through the excurrent siphon.
Water is brought into its body through the incurrent siphon and the water is removed from its body through the excurrent siphon.
Simfliter etiam abfque ObKgatione & ultra ad filiales excurrent Ecclefias, ibi - que Parocho, & facellano infirmo, vel alias jufto impedito Le&iones Cateche - ticas per ©ftatem habebunt. qui difficilioribus illis praeterlapfis temporibus pa - rocho urbico & vicinis pagis in adminiftran - dis divinis utilem & indefeffam operam nava - runt, quorum labores & piae converfationis exempla nos induxerunt, ut accedentibus ite - ratis fupplicationibus fubditorum noftrorum defuper nobis porreftis, illis prb exftruendo monafteriolo & firrcando ftabili domicilio Ele&oralis noftri culminis & ordinairii affenfus beneficium impendere dignati fuerimus, prout illum preefentium vigore litterarum imparti - mur, fic tamen & non alias neque aliter quam ut viciffim praeta&i FF.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.