Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of excussing, discussing, unfolding, or deciphering; discussion.
- n. A seizing by law; in civil law, the act of exhausting legal proceedings against a debtor or his property, before proceeding against the property of a person secondarily liable for the debt; discussion.
- n. The process or proceedings whereby a creditor must proceed against a principal debtor before proceeding against a surety or subsidiary debtor.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. obsolete The act of excusing; seizure by law.
- Latin excussus (past participle of excutere ("to shake off")). (Wiktionary)
“The honey-moon I intended to pass in a continentle excussion, and was in treaty for the ouse at Halberd-gate (hopsit Mr. Hudson's) as my town-house.”
“The honey-moon I intended to pass in a continentle excussion, and was in treaty for the ouse at Halberd-gate (hopsit Mr. Hudson’s) as my town-house.”
“Wood, being for ought appears at least as similar a Body as any that the Peripateticks can shew us, if its differing Qualities must argue the presence of Distinct Elements, it will scarce be possible for them by any way they know of employing the fire upon a Body, to shew that any Body is a Portion of a true Element: And this recals to my mind, that I am now but in an occasional excussion, which aiming only to shew that the Peripateticks as well as the Chymists take in our present Controversie something for granted which they ought to prove,”
The Sceptical Chymist or Chymico-Physical Doubts & Paradoxes, Touching the Spagyrist's Principles Commonly call'd Hypostatical; As they are wont to be Propos'd and Defended by the Generality of Alchymists. Whereunto is præmis'd Part of another Discourse relating to the same Subject.
‘excussion’ hasn't been added to any lists yet.
Looking for tweets for excussion.