from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An instrument used to measure minute deformations in a test specimen of a material.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. an electro-mechanical device for measuring changes in linear distance integral to an object undergoing deformation
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An instrument for measuring the extension of a body, especially for measuring the elongation of bars of iron, steel, or other material, when subjected to a tensile force.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An apparatus for measuring minute degrees of expansion or contraction in metal bars under the influence of temperature or under strain. See expansion.
- n. In the instrument devised by Lavelle, a metal rod is surrounded by a steam-jacket whose temperature is indicated by two thermometers. The lower end of the rod rests at the bottom of the jacket, while the upper end passes through a movable metal cap which acts as a support for a spherometer (not shown in cut), by means of which the expansion of the rod is accurately measured.
extens(ion) + -meter.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)