from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A disk attached to the mandrel of a lathe to hold the work to be turned.
- n. The glass front of a cathode-ray tube upon which the image is displayed.
- n. A protective plate covering the human face, as of a welder or diver.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A removable protective shield separating the inner workings of a machine from operator and observer.
- n. A rigid flat surface that has an active role in the interaction of a device with an operator or user.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a protective covering for the front of a machine or device (as a door lock or computer component)
face + plate (Wiktionary)