from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A sad Portuguese folksong.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A Portuguese folk song, usually featuring a single vocalist, Portuguese guitar and sometimes classical guitar. Lyrical themes are often melancholic in nature; the structure of the song is of greater importance.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A Portuguese form of folk-song. See the extract.
- n. A Portuguese dance common among the lower classes, or the music for it. The characteristic pattern of the music is
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a sad Portuguese folksong
Portuguese, from Latin fātum, fate; see fate.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Portuguese fado ("fate"), from Latin fatum. (Wiktionary)