from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A method of decorating cloth by pulling out horizontal threads and tying the remaining vertical threads into hourglass-shaped bunches.
- n. A method of joining hemmed edges by crisscrossing thread over an open seam.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a decoration of a fabric achieved by removing threads and tying others into bunches
- n. the joining of hemmed edges of fabric with crisscrossed threads
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In embroidery, an operation in which a number of threads in the material are drawn out, and a few of the cross - threads are fagoted, or tied together in the middle. This is continued until all the threads are tied into fagots. The term is also applied to a similar effect produced by knitting.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. embroidery in which groups of parallel threads are tied together with fagot stitches
Sorry, no etymologies found.