from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. A wooden drop-shutter of a window, hinged at the top or bottom.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. the hinged protective covering that protects the keyboard of a piano when it is not being played


Sorry, no etymologies found.


Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.