from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An embroidery stitch that produces a decorative zigzag line.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A kind of embroidery stitch made of open, looped stitches worked alternately to the right and left of a central rib.
- v. To make stitches of this kind.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A kind of embroidery stitch producing a branching zigzag line.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A stitch used in embroidery, producing a partial imitation of feathers by small branches or filaments that ramify from a main stem. In medieval embroidery it was called opus plumarium.
- To ornament with feather-stitching.
feather + stitch (Wiktionary)