from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An annual gentian (Gentianella amarella) having small, lilac to creamy white flowers with fringed corollas.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A European herb, Swertia perennis, of the gentian family.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A European herb (Swertia perennis) of the Gentian family.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A name for species of gentian.
- n. The common felwort is Gentiana Amarella, also called autumn gentian. The name is also applied to species of Swertia, a genus closely related to Gentiana.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. gentian of Europe and China having creamy white flowers with fringed corollas
Middle English *feldwort, from Old English feldwyrt : feld, field; see field + wyrt, wort; see wort1.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Probably a corruption of fieldwort. (Wiktionary)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.