American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. An annual gentian (Gentianella amarella) having small, lilac to creamy white flowers with fringed corollas.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A name for species of gentian.
- n. The common felwort is Gentiana Amarella, also called autumn gentian. The name is also applied to species of Swertia, a genus closely related to Gentiana.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Bot.) A European herb (Swertia perennis) of the Gentian family.
- n. gentian of Europe and China having creamy white flowers with fringed corollas
- Probably a corruption of fieldwort. (Wiktionary)
- Middle English *feldwort, from Old English feldwyrt : feld, field; see field + wyrt, wort; see wort1. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
These user-created lists contain the word ‘felwort’.
I have in mind the worts associated with a green thumb rather than a green beer - but as you can see by the name, I'll accept anything you have to offer.
bottled and uncorked
Looking for tweets for felwort.