American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A positive photograph made directly on an iron plate varnished with a thin sensitized film. Also called tintype.
- n. The process by which such photographs are made.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A kind of positive photograph, so called because the sensitive film is laid on a sheet of enameled iron or tin; a tintype. The plate is exposed in the camera and then developed in the ordinary way.
- n. an early photographic process in which the image is made on an iron plate having a sensitized surface film
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A photographic picture taken on an iron plate by a collodion process; -- familiarly called
- ferro- + -type (Wiktionary)
“_ It is commonly known under the names of “blue print process,” “negative ferrotype process” and”
“I put one on a piece of ferrotype plate, and that gave really the best result I ever got.”
“I tried putting in a large number of these tubes, all in quantity, on the bottom of a ferrotype plate, but with no advantage.”
“The most distinct articulate speech was obtained from an ordinary ferrotype telephone plate, secured at the edges, and one of the glass tubes you see here attached to it.”
“My method is to mount not more than half a dozen at once, placing them face down, one on top of the other, on a glass or ferrotype plate, blotting off the surface water and spreading the paste over the top one in the usual way.”
“The primitive telephone has been greatly improved, the double electro-magnet being replaced by a single bar magnet having a small coil or bobbin of fine wire surrounding one pole, in front of which a thin disc of ferrotype is fixed in a circular mouthpiece, and serves as a combined membrane and armature.”
“This undated ferrotype picture provided by the Lincoln County, N.M.,”
“Photographica includes tintypes, ambrotypes, daguerreotypes and photographs, including desirable Abraham Lincoln photos and a ferrotype.”
“This undated ferrotype picture provided by the Lincoln County, N.M., Heritage Trust Archive is believed to depict William Bonney, also known as Billy the Kid, circa 1880.”
“FILE - This undated file ferrotype picture provided by the Lincoln County, N.M., Heritage”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘ferrotype’.
Looking for tweets for ferrotype.