from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. The lens positioned farthest from the eye in a compound eyepiece.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. that one of the two lenses forming the eyepiece of an astronomical telescope or compound microscope which is nearer the object glass; -- called also field glass.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. Same as field-glass, 3.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. the lens that is farthest from the eye in an optical device with more than one lens


Sorry, no etymologies found.


Sorry, no example sentences found.

Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.