from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A large beetle (Allorhina nitida) which in the southern United States destroys figs. The elytra are velvety green with pale borders.
- n. A bird, the figpecker.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A large beetle (Allorhina nitida) which in the Southern United States destroys figs. The elytra are velvety green with pale borders.
- n. A bird. See figpecker.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An old name given by Willughby to a small bird of Great Britain, supposed to be the garden-warbler, Sylvia hortensis. Also fig-pecker.
- n. In entomology, a scarabæoid beetle, Allorhina nitida.
- n. A local Australian name of a small passerine bird of the genus Zosterops. Also termed grape-eater.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. large greenish June beetle of southern United States
fig + eater (Wiktionary)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.