from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. Law To determine judicially the paternity of (a child born out of wedlock, for example).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To adopt as son or daughter.
- v. To establish filiation between.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To adopt as son or daughter; to establish filiation between.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To adopt as a son or daughter; take into filial relation.
- In law, to determine judicially the paternity of, as a bastard child; hence, to refer to the author or maker.
- To establish any analogous close relation between; affiliate.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. fix the paternity of
Medieval Latin fīliāre, fīliāt-, to acknowledge as a son, from Latin fīlius, son; see dhē(i)- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)