from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A threadlike anatomical structure; a filament.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a filamentous anatomical structure
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A thread; a filament, fibril, or fine fiber; a filar structure.
- n. In musical notation, the stem or tail of a note.
- n. A hair-like process on the radius of the down-feathers in some birds.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a threadlike structure (as a chainlike series of cells)
Latin fīlum, thread; see gwhī- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin fīlum ("thread"). (Wiktionary)