from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A sale of merchandise damaged by fire.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A clearance sale at greatly reduced prices, often at losses. Originally, a sale of product that had been damaged by fire or that could no longer be stored because the storage facility had been destroyed by fire necessitating immediate sale or loss of value.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a sale of objects damaged by fire, usually at much reduced prices.
- n. A sale of objects or assets at much reduced prices, often performed to raise money rapidly.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a sale of assets at very low prices typically when the seller faces bankruptcy
- n. a sale of merchandise supposedly damaged by fire
fire + sale (Wiktionary)