from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The part of the bolt or breech of a firearm that strikes the primer and detonates the charge of a projectile.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. the part of the firing mechanism which strikes the cartridge's primer to ignite the gunpowder.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- In the breech mechanism of a firearm, the pin which strikes the head of the cartridge and explodes it.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. That part of the breech-mechanism of a small arm or cannon which explodes the primer of the cartridge.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. striker that ignites the charge by striking the primer
Sorry, no etymologies found.