from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. A printing press in which the type, locked into a chase, is supported by a flat surface or bed and the paper is applied to the type either by a flat platen or by a cylinder against which the bed moves.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. a printing press where the type is carried on a flat bed under a cylinder that holds paper and rolls over the type


Sorry, no etymologies found.


Sorry, no example sentences found.

Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.