American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Any of various small, swift boats.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A large flat-bottomed Dutch vessel with a high stem, of a kind chiefly employed in the coasting-trade, having a burden of from 400 to 600 tons.
- n. A light, swift sail-boat.
- n. A long, narrow, flat-bottomed boat used for the transportation in canals and rivers of goods requiring to be carefully packed and kept dry. Also called swift-boat.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Naut.) A large Dutch coasting vessel.
- n. A kind of passenger boat formerly used on canals.
- fly + boat: compare Dutch vlieboot. (Wiktionary)
- Alteration and partial translation of Dutch vlieboot : Vlie, a channel off the island of Vlieland in the northern Netherlands + boot, boat. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“A felibote (Spanish) or flibot (French) or “flyboat,” in one of its early meanings, was, as defined by R. M. Nance, “an enlarged, ship-rigged barge, contrived to carry as much merchandise as possible with the smallest possible crew.””
“Champlain mentioned a third type of ocean-going vessel, which he called a flibot, a flyboat.”
“Champlain went aboard the flyboat and talked with Louis Kirke about his Indian girls.”
“On July 20, the English sailed up to Quebec in three vessels, a flyboat and two pinnaces, with twenty-two guns and 150 men.”
“Do you think yon Outsider flyboat may attack us?”
“Swan, a flyboat of 50 tons, Captain John Chester; and the”
“At dinner-tables or social gatherings, in churches and king's courts, in public carriage or public flyboat, scandal pursues me, and calumny defiles my name.”
“On Sunday the 5 of Aprill we gaue chase to a double flyboat, the which, we also the same day fought with, and tooke her, with losse of three of their men slaine, and one hurt.”
“Champlain’s personal belongings were put aboard the English flyboat.74”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘flyboat’.
how boat is used
If I had a boat
I'd go out on the ocean
And if I had a pony
I'd ride him on my boat
And we could all together
Go out on the ocean
Me upon my pony on my boat.
Looking for tweets for flyboat.