from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Geology A thin, leaflike layer or stratum occurring especially in metamorphic rock.
- n. Mathematics A plane cubic curve having a single loop, a node, and two ends asymptotic to the same line.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A leaf, especially a thin leaf or plate.
- n. A curve of the third order, consisting of two infinite branches having a common asymptote. The curve has a double point, and a leaf-shaped loop.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A leaf, esp. a thin leaf or plate.
- n. A curve of the third order, consisting of two infinite branches, which have a common asymptote. The curve has a double point, and a leaf-shaped loop; whence the name. Its equation is x3 + y3 = axy.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A leaf; a lamina; a lamella; a layer.
- n. In geometry, a loop, being a part of a curve terminated at both ends by the same node.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a thin layer or stratum of (especially metamorphic) rock
Latin, leaf.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Latin, a leaf. (Wiktionary)