from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An upright board across the foot of a bedstead.
- n. A board or small raised platform on which to support or rest the feet, as in a carriage.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. an upright board across the foot of a bedstead
- n. a board or small raised platform on which to support or rest the feet; such as found on in a carriage.
- n. a place to stand on a scooter or skateboard
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A board or narrow platfrom upon which one may stand or brace his feet.
- n. The platform for the engineer and fireman of a locomotive.
- n. The foot-rest of a coachman's box.
- n. A board forming the foot of a bedstead.
- n. A treadle.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A support for the foot, as in a boat or carriage, or at a workman's bench.
- n. An upright piece across the foot of a bedstead.
- n. The platform on which the driver and fireman of a locomotive engine stand; a foot-plate.
- n. A small platform at the back of a carriage on which the footman stands.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a narrow platform on which to stand or brace the feet
- n. a vertical board or panel forming the foot of a bedstead
Sorry, no etymologies found.