from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An upright board across the foot of a bedstead.
- n. A board or small raised platform on which to support or rest the feet, as in a carriage.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. an upright board across the foot of a bedstead
- n. a board or small raised platform on which to support or rest the feet; such as found on in a carriage.
- n. a place to stand on a scooter or skateboard
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A board or narrow platfrom upon which one may stand or brace his feet.
- n. The platform for the engineer and fireman of a locomotive.
- n. The foot-rest of a coachman's box.
- n. A board forming the foot of a bedstead.
- n. A treadle.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A support for the foot, as in a boat or carriage, or at a workman's bench.
- n. An upright piece across the foot of a bedstead.
- n. The platform on which the driver and fireman of a locomotive engine stand; a foot-plate.
- n. A small platform at the back of a carriage on which the footman stands.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a narrow platform on which to stand or brace the feet
- n. a vertical board or panel forming the foot of a bedstead
Sorry, no etymologies found.
So we need a new head/footboard first … can we get a queen sized head/footboard and use it with our full size mattress/boxspring until we get the queen size?
The wooden dowels attaching the side to the footboard broke and when it collapsed the metal screws broke and after a few hours of playing I found that it was beyond repair!
“Valco Baby” is printed on the head rest and the padding on the footboard.
The slab of ice serving as the footboard in that room was filled with hockey pucks suspended in the ice.
A man in his fifties, in a tuxedo, who seemed to be making a bed through the footboard of where we were sleeping.
You pull the top sheet across and tuck it into the footboard and think to yourself: what if he doesn't come home?
Leave at least 9 inches between the bed rail and the footboard and headboard of the bed.
She hung his coat over the footboard, then waved her hand in front of her chest.
Cool air is being piped in through a footboard grate.
He was Bambi-bounding back to bed when he skidded to a halt, cracking his shins on his own footboard.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.