from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To gain on or get ahead of (a sailing vessel).
- intransitive v. To gain on or go ahead of a sailing vessel.
- intransitive v. To continue moving forward after taking in sail, as when coming about.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To shoot ahead, especially when going in stays.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To advance or gain upon; -- said of a vessel that gains upon another when sailing closehauled.
- intransitive v. To shoot ahead, especially when going in stays.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Nautical, to gain upon; sail beyond; overhaul and pass.
fore- + reach (Wiktionary)