Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To think or contrive beforehand.
- To think, consider. contrive, or contemplate beforehand.
- See forthink.
- v. transitive, rare To plan (something) in advance; think, consider, or contrive beforehand; prognosticate.
- v. intransitive, rare To think about beforehand; to anticipate.
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. obsolete To think beforehand; to anticipate in the mind; to prognosticate.
- v. obsolete To contrive (something) beforehend.
- v. obsolete To contrive beforehand.
- From Middle English forethynken, from Old English foreþenċan ("to premeditate, consider, be mindful"), corresponding to fore- + think. Cognate with Dutch voordenken, German vordenken ("to think ahead"). (Wiktionary)
“This indeed I know, that we generally think before on our future actions, and that that forethinking is present, but the action whereof we forethink is not yet, because it is to come.”
“And anon a voice said to him, Flee, Launcelot, and enter not, for thou oughtest not to do it; and if thou enter thou shalt forethink it.”
“Nay, said Gawaine, ye shall not but if I be beat; it shall not forethink me then if ye go after me.”
“Let us try to forethink, to antedate our forgiveness.”
“And anon he would have entered, but a voice said, Flee, Sir Lancelot, and enter not, for and if thou enter thou shalt forethink it.”
“Ralegh vouches neither for the Amazons in the province of Topago, nor for these Ewaipanomas, 'For my part I saw them not, but am resolved that so many people did not all combine, or forethink to make the report.”
“You may live to forethink [regret] the setting of her up, if it were so," was all he said.”
“Let, then, thy words be few, but advised; forethink whether that which thou art to speak be fit to be spoken; affirm no more than what thou knowest to be true; and be rather silent than speak to an ill, or to no purpose.”
“Whether it be true or no, the matter is not great, neither can there be any profit in the imagination; for mine own part I saw them not, but I am resolved that so many people did not all combine or forethink to make the report.”
“As I said above, they value not the pleasure, they are raised by no inclination to the man, the passive jade thinks of no pleasure but the money; and when he is, as it were, drunk in the ecstasies of his wicked pleasure, her hands are in his pockets searching for what she can find there, and of which he can no more be sensible in the moment of his folly that he can forethink of it when he goes about it.”
Looking for tweets for forethink.