American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Informal A freshman, as in college.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A frog.
- n. dialectal A frog.
- n. colloquial A first year student, at certain universities.
- v. transitive, slang To initiate academic freshmen, notably in a testing way.
- v. transitive, slang To damage through incompetence.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. informal a student during his first year in a high school, college, or university; a freshman.
- From an alteration of freshman, under influence from German dialectal Frosch ("grammar-school pupil", literally "frog"). Related to English frosh above. (Wiktionary)
- Shortening and alteration of freshman (perhaps influenced by German Frosch, frog, grammar-school pupil). (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The Real World/Road Rules Challenges, including appearances by All-Star cast members coaching these "frosh" on how to take home a win for their alma mater.”
“Glen Dean (12.2 ppg) and Jeffrey Forbes (11 ppg) were the team's leading scorers, and fellow frosh Kevin Winford (6.9 ppg) also showed great offensive potential.”
“Jeffrey Forbes drained 47 treys -- one fewer than Dean -- and displayed as much offensive promise as his fellow frosh.”
“Tennessee State will enjoy some solid scorers in sophomores-to-be Jacquan Nobles, Martell Buie, Tashan Fredrick and Robert Covington, as both should be much improved from their frosh campaigns.”
“So a mere rotation of the calendar later, I had become the fastest frosh player at San Diego State.”
“All in all, a marvelous time (Oh - I forgot to mention that I caught up with my college roommate, Jay Wile, whom I roomed with when I was a frosh and he was a sophomore, and whom I haven't seen in ... 25 years!).”
“It's interesting to see Irish head coach Jeff Jackson, who is known for trusting his veterans and not showing much faith in the newbies, giving a frosh such responsibility.”
“To me Al is a frosh Senator, not yet jaded in the mire of lobbyism on either side of the isle.”
“We are stuck with Al for another 5 ½, I hope to hear more from this frosh taking on the lying liars.”
“Or maybe not ... things are getting soft there: the "prac-track" frosh physics labs are now optional, they are closing their bookstore, and people keep trying to chip away at the "core" requirements.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘frosh’.
Looking for tweets for frosh.