from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various small insects, such as the gall midge or gall wasp, that deposit their eggs on plant stems or in the bark of trees, causing the formation of galls in which their larvae grow.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of various flies which produce galls.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An insect that deposits its eggs in plants, and occasions galls, esp. any small hymenopteran of the genus Cynips and allied genera. See Illust. of gall.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An insect which occasions galls on plants by puncturing them; especially, a hymenopter of the group Gallicolæ or Diplolepariæ, as a cynipid. See gall, and cut under Cynips.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. small solitary wasp that produces galls on oaks and other plants
- n. fragile mosquito-like flies that produce galls on plants
- n. any of various insects that deposit their eggs in plants causing galls in which the larvae feed
Sorry, no etymologies found.