American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Botany An asexual budlike propagule as in liverworts, capable of developing into a new individual; a bud.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In botany and zoology, a bud; that which is budded; the result of gemmation. Specifically, in botany: A leaf-bud as distinguished from a flower-bud; the rudiment of a young branch.
- n. [capitalized] In conchology, a genus of bivalve mollusks, of the family Veneridæ, containing a single small species, G. totteni or G.gemma (originally Venus gemma), about one eighth of an inch long, yellowish or rosy-white tipped with amethystine, found on the Atlantic coast of the United States. The young are retained inside the valves of the parent till their shells are formed.
- n. In biology, one of the hypothetical units of living matter: similar to biogen, idioblast, pangen, plasome, etc.
- n. A knoblike protuberance or nodule.
- n. bud; an asexual reproductive structure, as found in liverworts and hydra, able to produce new individuals from a cluster of cells.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Bot.) A leaf bud, as distinguished from a flower bud.
- n. (Biol.) A bud spore; one of the small spores or buds in the reproduction of certain Protozoa, which separate one at a time from the parent cell.
- n. small asexual reproductive structure in e.g. liverworts and mosses that detaches from the parent and develops into a new individual
- From Latin gemma ("bud on a plant"). (Wiktionary)
- Latin, bud; see gembh- in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“At 3: 41 AM, gemma said ... not demitri he is fur and diamonds its got to be venom”
“Hellboy gemma arterton looks sexy .... she looks very different in Clash of the Titans & Quantum of Solace ...”
“Cool character design, big stes, intriguing story plot point with the dagger, hot gemma arterton?”
“Mind you I would not throw gemma Atkinson out of bed for eating crackers either.”
“Trailers gemma-arterton mike newell prince of persia”
“Movie News ben-kingsley gemma-arterton prince of persia”
“I KNOW HER! haha shes called gemma! hehe how random!”
“Movie News ben-kingsley gemma-arterton mike newell prince of persia”
“Il video qui sopra e' un'altra gemma degli anni 50, cosa fare quando si esce con una ragazza.”
“ Fulget gemma floris, et jaspide fulva supellex,”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘gemma’.
A hodgepodge, jumble, jambalaya, *gallimaufry, circus and tent revival of plant anatomy and morphology terms and phrases - its a big tent, and no tickets are required.
List of terms used in the study and classification of pollen and spores - both fossil and modern.
The names of the vogue.
Looking for tweets for gemma.