from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A name that is not or does not include a trademark or brand name.
- n. The official nonproprietary name of a drug, under which it is licensed and identified by the manufacturer.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The scientific name of a genus, conforming to the ICBN or ICZN.
- n. The name given to a drug that is used to identify it irrespective of trademark etc.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The name for a medication, as used in the pharmacopoeia; it cannot be a trademark. The name is typically given by the inventor or discoverer of the drug, but must be approved by a national or international naming authority.
Sorry, no etymologies found.