American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A name that is not or does not include a trademark or brand name.
- n. The official nonproprietary name of a drug, under which it is licensed and identified by the manufacturer.
- n. botany, zoology The scientific name of a genus, conforming to the ICBN or ICZN.
- n. pharmacology, pharmacy The name given to a drug that is used to identify it irrespective of trademark etc.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The name for a medication, as used in the pharmacopoeia; it cannot be a trademark. The name is typically given by the inventor or discoverer of the drug, but must be approved by a national or international naming authority.
“Their generic name was “Bugre” (properly a tribe in Southern”
“The German tribes called themselves, from very remote times, by the generic name of Teutons, (Teuten, Deutschen,) which Tacitus derives from that of one of their gods, Tuisco.”
“The account still refers to him by the generic name "the man," as appears from the use of the article before 'adham.”
“The Hebrew word nachash is the generic name of any serpent.”
“The question whether the Suevi was a generic name comprehending the clans which peopled central Germany, is rather hastily decided by M. Guizot Mr. Greenwood, who has studied the modern German writers on their own origin, supposes the Suevi, Alemanni, and”
“Some outcry against the Ski-Doo which quickly became a generic name for all makes of snowmobiles was voiced, owing to the noise pollution they caused in previously peaceful outdoor areas of the United States and Canada.”
“Freethinkers "(1713), gives the deistical tendency this name]," the phenomenon of free-thought has existed, in specific form, long before it could express itself in propagandist writings, or find any generic name save those of Atheism or Infidelity "(Robertson).”
“So on the Old Testamerit level "Elohim" is the generic name for God from the root which signifies "to fear" or”
“This view is confirmed by Zidonians being used as the generic name of Phoenicians or”
‘generic name’ hasn't been added to any lists yet.
Looking for tweets for generic name.