from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A metal plate covering the knee.
- n. That part of a parapet which lies between the gun platform and the bottom of an embrasure.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Milit.: The kneepiece, of hammered iron, introduced toward the close of the thirteenth century, and worn at first over the chausses of mail, being held in place by a strap passing round the leg, and consisting at first of a dish-shaped or slightly pointed roundel.
- n. An articulated piece forming a part of the jambe or of the cuissart in the fourteenth century, and later furnished with large wings which projected backward on each side of the knee-joint.
- n. In fortification: The part of the interior slope of the parapet below the sill of an embrasure, serving to cover the lower part of the gun-carriage.
- n. The height of the parapet above the banquette in a barbette battery.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.