from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Islam A man who has fought successfully against infidels.
- n. Islam Often used as a title for such a warrior.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A hero or champion, especially as a Muslim against non-Muslims; often used as a title.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Among Mohammedans, a warrior champion or veteran, esp. in the destruction of infidels.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A veteran soldier of Islam; especially, a title given in Turkey to sovereigns or subjects renowned for wars with infidel forces.
- n. Among Mohammedans, a warrior, especially one who has been victorious over infidels; a popular ‘hero.’
Arabic ġāzī, raider, warrior, active participle of ġazā, to raid; see ġzw in Semitic roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Arabic غازي, active participle of غزا ‘raid’. (Wiktionary)