from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A direct transfer of funds between different account holders, usually on a regular basis.
- n. An unemployment benefit cheque.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A round; a turn; a short tour.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a check given by the British government to someone who is unemployed; it can be cashed either at a bank or at the post office
- n. a British financial system in which a bank or a post office transfers money from one account to another when they receive authorization to do so
Via German, from Italian giro ("circulation"), from Latin gyrus ("circle"), from Ancient Greek γῦρος (guros, "circle"). (Wiktionary)